Photographs needed of Edward B. and Mary Waelder Chandler, San Antonio Philanthropists (Chandler DNA Project Group 9)
Edward B. and Mary Waelder Chandler donated their mansion and estate to Morningside Ministries (www.mmliving.org) a faith-based, not-for-profit retirement community in San Antonio, Texas. Juan D. Nava, creative director at Morningside Ministries Senior Living Communities and editor of a magazine-type newsletter with a readership of about 8,000, plans to feature the Chandlers in an upcoming issue. He has photos of the mansion and an oil potrait of Edward Chandler but no photographs of Mr. and Mrs. Chandler. Can you help? Contact Juan B. Nava at or Claudia at .
Edward B. Chandler’s Lineage:
According to CFA President Dick Chandler, Edward Benjamin Chandler belongs to Group 9 of the Chandler DNA Project. Edward Benjamin Chandler, born May 27, 1852, was the son of Deacon Amasa Chandler and his wife Sarilla Peyster of Woodstock, Connecticut. Amasa and Sarilla lived on the homestead of Amasa’s grandfather, Captain Seth Chandler, in North Woodstock. Amasa was elected to the Legislature in 1879. Edward was the eldest of their four children. He graduated at the Scientific Department of Yale College. In 1882 he was County Surveyor of Uralde County, Texas.
More about Edward B. and Mary Waelder Chandler from Juan D. Nava:
Edward B. Chandler, 1852-1923, was widely known in San Antonio as a business leader and philanthropist. An active real estate mortgage banker and head of E.B. Chandler & Co., his investment dealings made him one of the wealthiest San Antonians of the time. He was president of the San Antonio Country Club and of the Associated Charities (predecessor of the United Way). Married in 1885 to Mary Waelder (the town of Waelder in Gonzales County is named for her father), the Chandlers bought three and a half acres of land north and east of San Pedro Springs, at 137 West French Place. Known as “one of the showplaces of Texas.” the three-story, 16-room mansion was situated on a rocky hill overlooking the town two miles away. The Victorian-style home was most likely designed by C.A. Coughlin, who served as the architect of the Chandler Building on Crockett Street and the Chandler Billiard Room. Coughlin and his young partner Atlee Ayres also prepared plans for Chandler’s barn.
The Chandler home (see photos below) was constructed of gray brick with stone trim and had a double wrap-around veranda. The spacious lawn was cultivated with large trees and beautiful flowerbeds. To the rear of the house were Mrs. Chandler’s rose garden, the barn and stables. An ornamental fence enclosed the property. Upon entering the home, guests enter into a dramatic reception hall. To the right is an ornate mantelpiece, which towers over a tile-edged corner fireplace, popular in the Victorian era. To the left is an elegant carved stairway adorned with paintings by Julian Onderonk. Beyond the stairway was the parlor (now known as the Stanley Banks parlor) with large stained glass and leaded-glass windows. The room still has the original parquet floor and several original furnishings.
Above: interior view showing portrait of Edward B. Chandler over the fireplace and stained glass window beyond
Top left: exterior view of E. B. and Mary Chandler Estate
Left: Chandler Estate foyer
Bottom left: exterior view showing veranda
Photos courtesy of
Juan D. Nava
Graphic Designer/Creative Manager
700 Babcock Road
San Antonio, Texas 78201
Posted July 5, 2012